Wednesday, March 9, 2016

I'm Trying Not to Follow the Eagles Drama, But...

C'mon, Byron Maxwell can't do a push-up? For real? Of course the Eagles made an amazingly awesome trade to get rid of him and Kiko Alonso, and there had to be drama anyway. It's the Eagles way. Howard Eskin claims the trade will still happen, but even so, the drama of it is disappointing, if not surprising.

Welcome to the Eagles way. The team goes 7-9, and is several years from contention, but we're going to hear about them 24/7 in the Philadelphia press in these early days of free agency. The "drama queens" of the city are making lots of moves, and thereby overshadowing the Flyers playoff run and the Phillies spring training. While I do not subscribe to the "Philly is a football town" theory, given the attendance streak the Phillies had in recent years and the sell-outs the Flyers always enjoy, clearly the talk radio scene is dominated by the Eagles.

With that said, I can't help but weigh in on the Eagles off-season so far. We fired the coach before the season ended, which was what I was hoping for. We've signed a number of team-friendly extensions, which is always good. I'm happy that they didn't overpay for Bradford, but did keep him. Riley Cooper is gone. I'm also really happy with the Doug Pederson hire. No, he's not a big, flashy name, but Doug has shown himself to be a realistic, sober-minded football guy in his short tenure as coach. This week though, he's topped himself. Kiko Alonso? Gone. Byron Maxwell? Gone. DeMarco Murray? Gone. The Eagles moved up in the first round, and moved lots of bad salary. I'm quite happy with this week.

I'm kind of sick of the constant Eagles talk in Philadelphia sports, but I'm also happy with the direction the team is now going in. Is Doug Pederson the answer to Philadelphia's prayers? No idea yet. I do like what I'm seeing though. As long as the Eagles keep making moves that make sense to me, I might even eventually like the constant talk surrounding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment