Tuesday, March 1, 2016

MSNBC's Strategic Change is for the Best

Melissa Harris-Perry was not happy. She was so not happy that she parted ways with MSNBC because she felt "silenced" by being taken off the air for election coverage the last few weeks. Apparently Jose Diaz-Balart is also not too happy, and has been off the air in key spots as well. It's all part of a general move away from liberal editorializing on the air, and towards more "hard" coverage.

I understand that this may not be what fans of their shows wants to hear, but I find it to be a good thing. Unlike in year's recently past, I've actually found their coverage exciting, because it's coverage of actual events. This primary is exciting, and putting reporters in the field with the candidates has meant covering real events, rather than the feelings and whims of someone from the "professional left," giving us their opinion of a candidate or field of candidates. Yesterday's coverage of the five or six serious candidates left in this race in real time was actually compelling stuff, from the Secret Service beating a guy, to Marco Rubio attacking Trump, to Hillary speaking in South Boston.

This is what a "news" station is supposed to be. They are supposed to cover the events as they happen. I like seeing "hard" news overtake opinion news again, and hope this trend also happens on other networks. I don't really want to hear a bunch of opinion pieces from people who agree with me. I want to hear the actual events in the world. I like where MSNBC is going here.

No comments:

Post a Comment