Thursday, March 3, 2016

Take Curt Off the Air: I'm Embarrassed I Ever Cheered for Wind-Bag Schilling

Once upon a time, I was a huge Curt Schilling fan. He was the 1993 NLCS MVP, and I remember being in attendance for the masterpiece he hurled in Game 1 of that series. A few years later, I remember loving watching him mow down the powerhouse New York Yankees on Labor Day. He gave us Phillies fans many memories. He went on to throw like a legend against the Yankees in the epic 2001 World Series, and in the legendary 2004 ALCS Game 6. Curt Schilling was worth watching.

Now i'm just ashamed I ever was cheering for this gas-bag:
Schilling touched off another political firestorm during his interview on the afternoon of Super Tuesday. The former MLB pitcher said he wanted to see the Democratic presidential hopeful behind bars.
“I hope she does. If I’m gonna believe, and I don’t have any reason not to believe, that she gave classified information on hundreds if not thousands of emails on a public server after what happened to Gen. [David] Petraeus, she should be buried under a jail somewhere,” Schilling said.
The three-time World Series winner said he would be “upset” if Clinton won the election.
“If she’s allowed to get to the general election before she’s in prison, I’ll be stunned and upset,” he said. “Because I think she’s shown her true colors all along the way and I’ll ask you this – do you see her being anything even remotely different than what we’ve had?”
The network sent a memo to its employees in January asking them to “refrain from political editorializing, personal attacks or ‘drive-by’ comments regarding the candidates and their campaigns.”
I knew Schilling was a conservative. He annoyed me in 2004 when he campaigned for Bush, and he was annoying in plenty of interviews since then. I tried to keep my mouth shut last Summer when he attacked Muslims, because frankly he's a baseball player, not a politician. Here though, his aggressive rhetoric is just over the top. I don't want to see anyone "buried under a jail," including people I don't like and think are damn near criminal, like George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, or Donald Trump. That's unacceptable rhetoric. We don't need that kind of talk in our society.

Now, I'm not saying Curt shouldn't be allowed to say what he wants- I just hope ESPN decides to distance themselves from that type of individual. I'm not for silencing Curt in general either, but the next time he shows up in Philadelphia at a game and I'm there, I'm booing this jerk. We all have first amendment rights here.

No comments:

Post a Comment