Monday, February 1, 2016

The Kids Keep Getting Better at this Stuff

When I was working the Iowa Caucus in 2007 and 2008, we thought we were pretty awesome at innovation. Smart phones were relatively new, votebuilder was a new thing, Twitter was brand new, it was the first "Facebook election," and campaigns were using text messaging to reach their audience. It's only been one Presidency, eight years, and it seems like a lot less. We were stone age compared to this election though.

Last night I was out with my cousin when my phone gave me an "alert" from Facebook: Hillary Clinton was live from Lincoln High School in Des Moines, IA. Of course, being intrigued I clicked it, and watched her rally live-streamed. In that live-stream, I could communicate in real time with others watching the speech. The campaign could also communicate to me. We thought Podcasts and blogs were a big deal in 2008.

I believe that eight years from now, elections will probably be largely contested over the internet. We're simply moving into a more technological nation and world, and it only makes sense that our politics would follow that direction. I'm kind of amazed at how fast the advances are happening, and really how much has changed in eight years. I can only imagine what it will look like eight years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment