Thursday, February 18, 2016

I'm Swearing Off Philly Sports Talk Radio

Today, the Phillies will open Spring Training. The Sixers and Flyers are currently playing real games. One would think that both WIP and the Phanatic in Philadelphia would be talking about one of those three teams. They are all very young teams that are moving in a new direction, and may be on the rise. Instead though, Philadelphia sports talk radio is all about Sam Bradford, and whether the Eagles will put the "franchise tag" on him. It's all about a 7-9 team that hasn't won a title in over 55 years, has a new, unproven coach, and who consistently insists on having their drama play out on the front pages of the city's papers.

I just don't care.

The Eagles haven't been a real Super Bowl contender since 2008, and nothing involving their current quarterbacking situation is going to change that status. They refuse to rebuild, and their owner refuses to commit to a defense-first attitude that could make them a serious force.

I just don't care.

So, until the radio stations want to start discussing some of the teams who are trying to build a champion, I don't have a need to listen. I don't need to hear twelve different opinions on whether they should (obviously) sign Fletcher Cox to a long-term deal. I certainly don't need to hear terribly mistaken fans who think signing Bradford back is the difference between 4-12 and 12-4. I'm sorry, I'm least excited about the Eagles, of the four teams in the city right now. This isn't to say I have no interest, it's to say that my interest was killed long ago by being continually fed constant Eagles talk on the radio. I get it, they have an off-season. They're a 7-9 team though. Let's stop acting like anything all that big is going on with them.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree, It's all about non events while the three other teams are actively playing, and it's just lazy reporting.

    ReplyDelete