Saturday, February 20, 2016

I Can't Wait for Phillies Games

It's a kind of dreary time of year. It's a bit cold, overcast, and kind of damp. The sun is staying out a little bit later than it was, but it's still dark kind of early. The New Year and the Super Bowl have already passed, but it's not quite St. Patrick's Day, or for that matter Opening Day of baseball. In fact, there's not a lot going on in America right now. This is the time of year we debate stupid things (like the meaning of a halftime show), frankly because we don't have much else to talk about.

My mind is several months ahead right now. I'm ready for baseball games again. I'm ready for "Bull's Barbecue" and a beer in my hand. I'm ready for 80 degree nights. I'm ready for booing some lefty reliever for walking the one guy he got brought in to get out (yes, even this). I'm ready for standing along the right field wall in Allentown at an Ironpigs game, or getting a beer in the left field corner at Citizens Bank Park. I'm ready for my annual trip to Shake Shack at Citi Field, and even that "Philly Cheesesteak" thing they sell at Yankee Stadium (I know, the irony). I'm ready to go see whatever new ballpark I get to this year, and i'm ready to get to 50 baseball games this year, instead of 40 like last year. I'm ready for baseball season. I'm ready for this time of year to end.

It won't be long now. In a week or two, exhibition games will be on. In a month, roster battles will be hot. Two months from now, we'll be talking about real games. It's almost baseball season again, and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment