Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Looking Good, or Not Long for the Road- The NFL Playoffs are Coming

Someone is going to win Super Bowl L. It might be Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay, Washington, Seattle, or Minnesota. It also might be New England, Denver, Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas City, the New York Jets, Pittsburgh, or Indianapolis. That's the best we can know.

Going into week 17 in the NFC, I don't think the contenders should shock you. I feel the best about Arizona right now, who is 13-2 and reeling off statement victories. Carolina is 14-1, and has been the best team for most of the year, and Cam Newton has played like an MVP. Seattle is "only" 9-6 and on the way to the Wild Card, but the two-time defending NFC Champs are white-hot right now. Those three teams are the class of the field for me. You can't count out Aaron Rodgers, because he's Aaron Rodgers, so Green Bay has a shot. Washington is playing really well right now, and won't be an easy out. Minnesota has had an outstanding, surprising year. Right now though, I'd take Arizona to win.

In the AFC, there's more room for error. I like New England with home-field, because Tom Brady is still throwing the ball for them, and because Gronk is my runner-up pick for MVP, if the award was actually all about value. Denver did beat the Pats this season, and their defense is good enough to win, but I don't see Osweiler winning in New England in January. Cincinnati seemed real, but Dalton's injury scares me off, as does the fact that he can't play on Wild Card Weekend. Houston has recovered nicely from a bad start, but won't win the AFC. Kansas City is on fire, and might be the scariest team to see in the post-season. If the Jets win against Buffalo and get in, they won't be easy to beat, but I don't see them winning three in a row to reach the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh needs a win and a Buffalo upset of the Jets to get in, but if they do, watch out. It wouldn't seem crazy to me if you said Pittsburgh gets in, and they and Kansas City both eliminate division champs in the Wild Card round. I like New England to edge either of them, or Denver, if they wrap up home field though.

Who do I like to win the Super Bowl right now? Arizona. I like them to beat New England. I like them to beat Carolina in the NFC title game, after they beat Green Bay, and Carolina edges out Seattle in a thriller. I like New England to beat Pittsburgh/New York in the divisional round, and Kansas City to beat Denver. I like New England to edge out Kansas City in the AFC title game.

All of this is tentative, of course. I'll make final picks after Week 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment