Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Some Thoughts on Allentown

I've mostly stayed out of writing about the FBI probe into Allentown City Hall and Mayor Ed Pawlowski. It's not that I'm disinterested, or don't think it's a very big deal- it is. I've mostly wanted to listen, and hear what others have to say on the matter. I've also wanted to see how it played out, and to get a sense of where this case was going. I think I've now seen enough to voice more of an opinion.

I'm very torn, emotionally speaking, in how I feel about the entire situation. Corruption is corruption, it is bad. Everyone knows that you can't trade contracts for donations, or you go to jail. On the other side of that, despite personal traits that can rub some people the wrong way, Mayor Pawlowski's tenure in Allentown has had some positive highlights. I love the progress in the downtown, obviously lead by the arena. So while I am fine with the feds throwing the book at public corruption, I am just a bit sad to see such good work tainted by such bad behavior. Mayor Pawlowski could have had a great legacy as Mayor, and now his legacy will be forever tainted by even the accusation of bad behavior.

That's how I feel emotionally, but here's what my brain says- this was just flat out stupid. Everyone knows that you can't engage in "quid pro quo" governance, and that appears to have been  happening. You can't rig bids, and you can't force contractors to give donations. It is increasingly appearing as though that is what went on. When you have the city's finance director and it's assistant solicitor pleading guilty, and city contractors awaiting sentencing for their bribes, you realize the case doesn't stop there. It defies logic to believe that all the underlings are pleading guilty and heading to jail, but the boss isn't. Not only do I think we'll see larger heads roll in this case, I think the punishments will be painful.

I don't think it will be quick though. The Mayor is not going to resign from office early, no matter how much screaming and yelling is directed at him. It's not in his personal interest to do so. I don't think the U.S. Attorney's office will be able to build a case and charge him quickly either, no matter how badly the public wants that. I think it's actually 50/50 that the Mayor finishes his term in office, with the only way he doesn't being he is forced out.

I have no idea when or exactly how this will end. Public corruption is complicated, and very difficult to prosecute. My hope is that everyone who committed illegal acts is convicted and goes to jail. I have great trust in the current Justice Department that they can do that well. Hopefully for Allentown's sake, whatever comes next is productive, but not tainted by the hint of corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment