Friday, December 25, 2015

Merry Christmas

Well, Merry Christmas to those of you reading this. While there are historical doubts about the date and chain of events, today is the day that modern society marks the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, born in Bethlehem, and called Christ by Christians who would follow for two millenniums after. Whether it is a religious holiday to you, a secular holiday, or simply a day to get Chinese, for a day, our society pauses to mark a momentous historical day.

In the Wilkins Family, the actual bigger day is Christmas Eve, when we celebrate Vilija, a Slovak tradition. It is a 12 course meal that includes no meat, and follows a series of customs. I didn't follow them exact this year, because I was very annoyed to see the meal on the table before 5 pm (so I through a silent fit and watched ESPN in the living room). Eventually I did join though, and the meal was really good. Afterwards we did gifts, and I'm happy to say I have cash and gift cards to last me a while, as well as a new black Lakewood BlueClaws hat. I consider that part to be a win. It's worth noting that Wigilia, the Polish version of Vilija, is also both a tradition, and in my blood, and I want to incorporate it into next year's celebration.

Either way, it's a happy Christmas here. Everyone is healthy, and here. Maybe not everything is perfect in life, but it's good, and by getting up each day, it might get better. Today is a happy day, and a day for good hopes. May you all have a Merry Christmas, and enjoy the holiday, whether you are celebrating it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment