Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Eagles, Tonight, and the Future

Tonight at the Linc, the Eagles will play a do-or-die football game against DC. If Washington wins the football game, they win the division. If the Eagles win, they have to win again in week 17 to win the division. In the mediocrity that is the NFC East, we're talking about a 6-8 football team winning the division. This is basically what purgatory feels like.

I have a hard time getting pumped up about a 6-8 team's chances. Even if they do win out, and win the NFC East, they aren't a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Oh sure, they beat New England, so "any given Sunday" me all you want, the Eagles will have to beat four teams in a row in playoff games, to win a championship. That means, in direct terms, beat Seattle, Carolina, and Arizona, the last two on the road, to reach the Super Bowl and try to beat a New England, Cincinnati, Denver, Kansas City, or Pittsburgh. Let me rain on the parade- no chance. It's not happening. Last year I said I didn't believe that Chip's squad was a contender, even when they were flying high, but this year's team is even more obvious mediocrity. They have their moments, but this team is a .500 team at best. They are nowhere near contending.

So, you'll have to forgive me for not being too pumped up for game day today. This isn't a game that leads us to the parade down Broad Street that Eagle fans deserve. This is a survival game to keep us mildly entertained by our mediocre football team. If they lose, at least we don't have to keep up faux hope about a "post-season run." If they win though, we have one more game that decides if we get to put up another NFC East Champions banner. I'd like to have that banner, mostly to deny it to Washington and New York, but it doesn't mean a lot. Even so, I want them to win. I'm just not willing to be upset over it.

I've had more than a singular conversation over whether it is best to win or not. Some friends who also like the Eagles have actually said to me they'd rather lose the last two, in hopes that Chip Kelly gets fired and Sam Bradford is gone. They fear continuing down a hopeless road with Chip, and committing real money to Bradford, who they never see winning a championship. If I actually thought losing the last two games would make Jeffrey Lurie fire Chip Kelly, I might share their view. I don't though. Jeffrey Lurie's Eagles will be worth more next year than this year, and he'll make a profit on the football season. Oh sure, he may act like things are rough (or at least he does while trying to squeeze Temple for some extra money to play at the Linc), but times are good for Lurie, if for no other reason than the Eagles' blue-collar fan base continues to spend their hard earned cash on his team. Jeffrey Lurie allowed Andy Reid to probably stick around five years too long. Unless you think he's suddenly going to change, expect Chip Kelly back. This is life as an Eagles fan. This is the culture of Jeffrey Lurie. I won't leave, because they're my team, but I know how it will go at this point. Chip is probably coming back next season, no matter what. 6-10 will do. Ticket sales will be fine. Merchandise will sell. Don't expect fast change. Don't cheer against your team in hopes that you'll get a better one.

So, go Eagles. Win those last two. Go 8-8. Win the NFC East. Get that one home playoff game, and the money it generates, and then pay Sammy Bradford. Keep Chip around for the full five years. Maybe things will change next off-season. They do have some good players on this roster. They have some who should bounce back next year too. I guess I'll hope for the best, because what else can you hope for? Hopefully tonight, Philadelphia beats Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment