Friday, May 6, 2016

Bernie's Value

I didn't vote for Bernie Sanders, I voted for Hillary. I'm proud of that vote, and think Hillary Clinton will make a great President. This does not mean that Bernie Sanders has not shown real value to Democrats and progressives of all types.

Bernie Sanders biggest value to the American left, after his race has ended, will be the blueprint on how to run to blue-collar white voters. His anti-trade message will end up as the future Democratic message in places like West Virginia and Michigan, and may serve as a way to fight off Democratic losses amongst white voters in those "Rust Belt" states. Hammering corporate greed also clearly has become an alternative to the Republican scapegoating of immigrants and minorities. In short, Bernie has written a "how to" guide for future Democrats wishing to win, or at least narrow losses with white, working class voters.

To be clear, I don't buy into Bernie's overall economic message. I don't believe we should pass "Medicare for All" or "free" college education at this time, nor do I think we should decimate the American banking system over some bad actors right now. In time, massive changes in these sectors can be done, but a more clear-headed, sober-minded approach than Bernie's rhetorical guillotine can and should be used for that. I'm not a believer in his "political revolution," but I do see value in parts, and perhaps a longer term blueprint within it. I also see a shorter term value for Democrats to adopt parts of his agenda now.

No comments:

Post a Comment