Saturday, April 2, 2016

2016 AL West Predictions

Texas has their two aces together, Houston looks to build on their success, and the Angels have the best player on the planet today (with all due respect to Bryce Harper). As if being on the Pacific Coast wasn't cool enough, the AL West should be a fun division to watch, though Houston is quite far from the Pacific Coast. Here's my predictions:

  1. Houston Astros (95-67)- I think it's time to start expecting a long-term winner in Houston. A deep system has produced a young team that looks like it can win for a long time. There are question marks, and it's no lock that they finish where I'm putting them, but I see the best regular season team in the American League this year.
  2. Texas Rangers (91-71)- While I'm not predicting a repeat as division champs, I see the Rangers getting to the post-season again on the backs of Hamels and Darvish. If they can stay healthy like they did last year, and start seeing some of their top prospects contribute this season, there's no reason to not expect a special season. 
  3. Los Angels Angels of Anaheim (81-81)- The Angels have the best player in baseball, but they don't have the pitching, the prospects ready to step in, or even the complete line-up to cash in on that. Two years ago, they should have won it, but they didn't. They better hope they get one more great season from Pujols at some point so they can get one more shot at the ring.
  4. Seattle Mariners (77-85)- I go back and fort on whether or not I want to pick these guys to break out or crash. I don't think I see enough offense to contend, even with the great King Felix on this team.
  5. Oakland Athletics (67-95)- It's going to be a tough year on one side of the Bay at least. The A's will run out a pitching staff that has some ability, but not a roster that really can compete in this division. They won't score a lot, and that will be a huge problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment