Sunday, April 10, 2016

The PA College Dems Conference, Happy Valley Make for a Great Weekend

I got up pretty early on Saturday morning, which is not normally my thing. I had to take a long drive though, all the way to the center of Pennsylvania, State College. I had been invited to participate as a speaker on a panel about running for office at the College Democrats of Pennsylvania Annual Conference at Penn State, which I guess makes me old, but also is an honor. So I shot up 33 to I-80 and drove all the way to the Bellefonte exit for Interstate 99 down to State College. I was off to Happy Valley!

The one thing to know about State College is that for as great as it is on a football game day, it's better when there isn't a game. You can get around easier, the restaurants and shops are less crowded, and you get to appreciate the town a little more. I took some time to do that during the course of Saturday, checking out the campus, the Nittany Lion shrine, Old Main, Rec Hall, and shops in town. I should have visited the Creamery, but now you can do that here in the Lehigh Valley, so it was less urgent.

The conference was quite an experience. A young lady from Pitt's Democrats was our moderator, and she asked some creative questions. I spent most of my speaking time talking about finding candidates with passion, how the Democratic Party desperately needs younger people to run for office, how Pennsylvania politics makes you keep fighting after losses, and different strategies for winning elections. I talked about how most elected offices are part-time gigs, and how a young person can start a career and still serve their local communities. I also talked about how many of our major elected officials in Pennsylvania have to lose before they win, sometimes several times. I talked about the need for a cause, or some passion on an issue, being the most desired characteristic I had in candidates. I hope the kids at the conference liked it.

I didn't hang around for the U.S. Senate Primary debate or after-parties, which is probably all for the best, and I came home after the dinner. I'm probably one of the younger State Democratic Committee members in Pennsylvania, and I hope that while I have that distinction, I can help us reach out to the younger, potentially talented people who we need to keep in our party. I also hope I can spend more time in Happy Valley, any time of year. The whole trip made my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment