Sunday, April 3, 2016

Bring Back the Expos

This weekend, baseball was back in Montreal. It was only a couple of exhibition games, but Olympic Stadium was packed to the rafters again. Of course, it was the Blue Jays and the Red Sox, the two teams who are most naturally a draw in Montreal. Even so, the crowd was good.

I remember how bad attendance got by the end of Montreal baseball. I remember the troubles they had keeping players. Obviously they would need a new/upgraded stadium, a big TV contract, and a commitment from MLB to make it work. Expansion in Canada still makes sense though, and Montreal is trying hard to show a commitment to make it work.

I used to see Montreal play in Philadelphia a lot. As a kid, I loved their hat. So many great players went through there, from Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez, to Vladimir Guerrero. Montreal would be a great destination city for American baseball fans to go see their team play. I'd love to see the Phillies play there. Sign me up on the pro-Montreal baseball side, with all the fans that went there this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment