Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Decisions Ahead of the Eagles

I feel liberated as a fan. I love the Eagles, but I really didn't like the hire of Chip Kelly. I also didn't like Nick Foles. In the course of 2015, both got sent packing from town, and now both of their jobs are front and center as the Eagles move forward. What we know, right now, is that the Eagles need a GM, a coach, to make a decision at quarterback, and have the 13th pick in the draft, as well as no second round pick.

In all of these decisions, the important factor is where you think the Eagles are now. I think they are a 7-9 team that didn't sniff the playoffs. I don't think they "underachieved," or "have talent," or any other positive spin on their season. I think they are a team that missed back-to-back playoffs, and have gone 8-12 in their last 20 games. In other words, I don't think they are that close to contending for a championship. I would not be shocked if they are three years from contending for a championship. Could it be faster? Sure. I'm not assuming success though with a franchise that last won a title 55 years ago. I'll take the safe, conservative outlook that they are two years from the playoffs and three from contention.

So, with that, my opinions on the off-season:

  • The Eagles should hire a strong football guy/GM- A lot of people are wrapped up in whether or not Eagles' lifer Howie Roseman has the GM job. Whether he does or doesn't, I would like to see the Eagles have a strong football guy, independent of the coach, come in and run the football operation. If they report to Howie, whatever, because I see that as little different from reporting to the owner. I just don't want them to be the coach's "yes man."
  • The Eagles should hire an NFL coach, preferably a defensive minded one- Don't read that as meaning they need to hire someone who's been a head coach, because I don't mean that. I mean I want an NFL guy. I don't want a gimmicky coach, especially a college coach, but someone who gets the way the league works, gets the personalities, and will build a fundamentally strong team. I would be fine with an accomplished head coach like Payton, but I think right now my expectation is a defensive coordinator type. I'm not against an offensive coordinator, I just think defense wins championships. Sean McDermott, Adam Gase, and Hue Jackson do stand out to me, amongst the coordinators out there. I'm not "anti" Duce Staley though either, but I'm somewhat skeptical of hiring inside. No matter what, I want someone who gets the NFL "culture," and who has the patience to deal with a season of rebuilding the roster.
  • I would not give Sam Bradford a huge deal- I think Sam Bradford did a decent job this year. He wasn't an All-Pro QB, but he wasn't bad either. All discussions about Bradford's season are a straw man though in the debate about whether or not to sign him back. Sam Bradford had a good enough season that he shouldn't want a one year deal from the Eagles. The Eagles are further away from winning a title than just retaining Bradford. If the goal is winning a title, I still am not convinced that Bradford is that kind of QB anyway. I'm not against a 2-3 year type of deal for him, per se, I just don't really see the point of it for either side. If the Eagles decide to rebuild the roster, next year is a lost season, and you would actually want the team to get a high draft pick. Bradford's actually too good for this team win less than six games. I think I lean towards signing a reclamation project QB (RG3, Kaepernick, etc.) and drafting a QB in the early rounds this year. That's not the quick way to 10 wins, I get that, but it seems to check off more boxes.
  • Lock up the defensive front- Can we get Fletcher Cox signed long term? Maybe a deal for Bennie Logan or Vinnie Curry? To me, the front is this team's strength. Cox is the best player on the team. I'd like to keep him around a while.
  • Draft some O-Line Help- Championships are won on the line. The Eagles line is thin, and needs talent. I'd like to see them draft a lineman or two in this draft, and fill out the roster. I'm fine with keeping Jason Peters, the more I read and think about the season, but his age isn't going down, so the Eagles would be well advised to build depth around him.
Those are my big points right now. I'd like to give DeMarco Murray a better look in a downhill running system, and I'd like to see them get a receiver or two, though I'm not sure they have room to draft one. Past that, I'm still beaming because Chip is gone. It's a new day for the Eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment