Monday, January 11, 2016

But Slim, What if You Win?

Yes, I played a few lines trying to win the $949 million Powerball on Saturday. Yes, I'm going to play the (currently) $1.3 billion Powerball on Wednesday. Yes, I'm going to lose, as is almost everyone else. Yes, I get that it's throwing away money. It's fun though, and hell, I'll play the 1 in however many hundred million chance to be a billionaire. It's funny to even say that though.

So, everyone who buys a ticket has this conversation- what if you win? As long as you realize from the start that you won't, that's a healthy conversation. If I won $1.3 billion, what would my life be like?

I have no idea.

That's literally so much money that I can't fathom it. Given my age, I'd likely take it in the 20 year payout, but the first thing I'd do is get a lawyer. I'd probably set up a charitable organization and give my loved ones a million each to work with. I'd buy a few pieces of real estate around the globe so that I could travel about and see different things. I'd invest a bunch, and guy some leisure things, like full season Phillies tickets, court-side Sixers tickets, some concert tickets, and some other stuff I enjoy. I'd pay off literally everything and give some of my buddies young children a full ride to college.

I'd still have money left.

I have no idea what being that rich would mean to my life, nor do I have to worry about it. I'm not going to win. At least this money helps older Pennsylvanians though, so a couple bucks won't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment