Monday, January 11, 2016

Time to Get off the E-Mail Lists

If you're on the DCCC's e-mail list, you've read the e-mails. You've read the panicky fundraising emails that seem to talk about a different crisis each day, even sometimes scolding you for not sending any money yet? Do you not care? If not the DCCC, it's a panicky, "we are going to lose" email from some candidate, the party, or even the President. Two-hundred of these ago, they worked on you. You were concerned. You were mad. You were ready to do whatever you were asked to do. Then it got old. And older. And now it's really old.

When I first signed up for political email lists in 2004 and even up to 2008, they were sending out some useful information. Occasional policy plans, personal information about the candidates, and even ways to connect to other supporters were normal things you'd get in emails. You don't anymore. You get requests for money. Frankly, having worked campaigns my entire adult life, I find these emails to be very cynical. I don't find them informational. I don't even find them useful.

So, I'm going to take myself off of as many of them as possible. I don't send money because of these emails, and I have no use for them. I learn little of the candidates from these, and I don't find there to be any value in these "crisis fundraising" style emails. We've taken a potential medium to communicate with our activists and voters, and maybe actually engage them in the process, and turned it into a glorified fundraising technique. Sorry, i'm out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment