Monday, January 25, 2016

CAMVP! I'm Pulling for the Panthers in Super Bowl 50

I was a little sad yesterday to watch Tom Brady lose. I'd like to see Touchdown Tommy get that record of five rings, and I'd like to always see Peyton Manning lose. For me, it goes back to Peyton's Tennessee days, when he couldn't get over the hump against Florida, and it annoyed me. Then as a pro, I wanted him to beat a younger Brady-Belichick duo, but he always lost. I branded him a loser. Sure, he finally got one in Indianapolis, but he's mostly been a choker his entire career. At this point I just want him to finish that way. I'm tired of him, his Nationwide commercials, and his football career. More so than Manning though, I have no love for John Elway at all. What he did to Baltimore at the outset of his career was awful.

With all of that out of the way, I'm a Cam Newton fan for the next two weeks. With all apologies to Larry Fitzgerald, who I hoped would get a ring, Cam is the man right now. First off, how can you not like this guy? Oh sure, he dances around when things go well, but that's because he's out there having fun. He's handing footballs to kids, dancing with cancer patients, and having a good time. Cam Newton is exactly the image that football needs. Has he made past mistakes? Sure has. Let's not hold youthful transgressions against the guy though.

On the field, he's on the cusp of something amazing. Cam Newton won this year's MVP award. He won the Heisman in college. He won the SEC championship in college. He won the NFC championship as a pro. He won a BCS National Championship. If he wins the Super Bowl, he will have basically achieved everything a quarterback can achieve in major football. This may seem amazing, but Cam could be Canton bound just by winning one more game, because he will have basically done everything a football player can do.

Do I want to root for a perennial underachiever like Peyton Manning to salvage his legacy in big games, or for a young, up-and-coming superstar to make history and join the greats in the history of the game? For me it's easy. Give me the dab, the handing footballs to kids, and the NFL MVP Cam Newton over Peyton Manning any and every time. Keep pounding, Carolina!

No comments:

Post a Comment