Tuesday, January 19, 2016

What I Wrote About Bernie Sanders Then- 5/27/15

Originally published on 5/27/2015, here.

For full disclosure, I worked for Hillary Clinton in 2008, and I support her candidacy for President now. I think she’ll make an amazing President. I also welcome that she has to win the nomination in the first place, and someone was always going to step forward to be her opponent. Martin O’Malley is an impressive enough guy, as is Jim Webb, but Bernie Sanders is a very different kind of animal altogether. I have always admired Sanders moral clarity, his steadfast positions, and his willingness to fight. In many ways, he will stand out as a serious opponent.
This is not to say that she won’t defeat him. I believe she will, and I believe she should. This is to say that I would take Sanders’ candidacy seriously. He’s already went much further than anyone would have guessed the former Burlington Mayor would go, and his talk of a political revolution should not be dismissed as idle chatter. I don’t believe it will make him the nominee of the Democratic Party, nor do I think it necessarily is meant to. I do think it is something that should be covered and treated as serious though. It is rather clear now what the Democratic field for President will look like, and Bernie will have his space carved out.

No comments:

Post a Comment