Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Aging

It was just a Sunday or two ago, there I was- walking into a bar in Allentown to meet up with three wonderful young women. Now, before you think I have some kind of "game" to kick, I wasn't there for that. I was there to give advice to younger organizers who were hitting the ground to work their heart's out for Pennsylvania Democrats. I actually made it long enough doing this stuff that I'm the "elder statesman" figure to be called. I actually, surprisingly like that too. At least, I like it in theory. I know it has meaning though.

I've hit a number of milestones over the past month or two. I was elected to my alma mater, Moravian College's alumni board. I was elected President of the Lehigh Valley Young Democrats, which I guess reflects that i'm the "elder statesmen." For the first time since October of 2002, I weigh under 200 pounds. I even reached 33 years old, which is funny, because I used to joke I'd never last as long as Jesus did on this Earth. All of this is great, but it has meaning.

As previously noted, I lost my dog on Friday. That would be the dog who was with me since I was in high school, or my entire adult life. Two months ago, I lost an uncle. People and pets that were important in my life are starting to pass on. When those who were a part of your life start to pass on, that has meaning.

The athletes who were coming of age as I was coming of age are starting to fade out. The 2008 Phillies will all be gone after this season, and the great Eagles and Sixers teams of my high school and college years are just about gone. There's a little bit of carry-over in hockey, but the Flyers of today have nothing in common with 2004. When the stars like Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard are starting to fade out of baseball, and they've been in it your entire adult life, it has meaning.

What it means is that my youth is over. I'm not "old" yet, out of respect for people who actually are, but i'm no longer young. I'm starting to be "accomplished," which is more a product of age than greatness, achieving things I used to want to achieve. I'm no longer young.

And in the great words of New Jersey's finest, Bruce Springsteen, "so you're scared and you're thinking that maybe we ain't that young anymore." Scared's not the right word in my case, that would require me caring a little bit more, but perhaps i'm just starting to notice. I'm noticing that I haven't settled into a family life, I haven't settled into financial stability, I haven't settled onto a path towards one specific thing. In short, I'm not "adulting," and haven't decided if the wife, kids, and house thing is for me yet, so "adulting" isn't going to start tomorrow.

I'm not necessarily scared or worried about where i'm at in life. I've lived exactly how I wanted to through my younger years. I guess i'm just recognizing reality a little bit. I'm honored at the recent milestones in life, I really am, but I also am totally mindful of what they mean for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment