Thursday, June 30, 2016

This is Not For You...

I've spent the past couple of days in Atlantic City, which has been nice and refreshing. I brought my grandmother here for the Greek Catholic Union's conference, held once every four years. She's a lodge President in Phillipsburg, so she's here to represent them. She's off at the conference most of the day, so I have time to myself while i'm here.

The only thing I did go to at the conference was the liturgy at the beginning, mostly because my grandmother asked me to. I met some nice people from other areas of the country, and it was a good time actually. In the course of it, something hit me:

This is not for you.

Not that this isn't for me in the sense that i'm not for the conference, because I am. This is not for me in the sense that I am witnessing what is a real milestone to my grandmother, now all of 88 years old, and I kind of just came along for the ride. This is something my grandfather deserved to be at, but he left us ten years ago, and so I am reaping the rewards of he and my grandmother's long life. They were good churchgoing people, active members in the GCU, and now at 88 years old, my grandmother was getting the honor of representing the church and lodge that had been at the center of her religious and social life since she was born in 1928. I was just here as a bystander to a milestone in her life.

And that's pretty cool, quite frankly.

No comments:

Post a Comment