Thursday, June 2, 2016

Roots and Why I Don't Like My Teenage Self

The History Channel is currently airing a re-make of the original series "Roots." The last time I had watched "Roots" was as a high school student. The other night I saw that part one was on, and so I watched it again, because I remembered that I found it interesting the first time. Watching it again was very eye-opening.

One of the things that the passage of time does is it glosses over what you saw. I forgot just how graphic and brutal the movie was. I forgot just how disturbing the very story was, from the slave trade in Africa to the treatment of slaves in America, frankly to the fact that this institution ever existed. It was a very, very difficult show to watch. I found myself wanting to turn it off several times- and not because it wasn't a well produced show. The graphic nature of the show was really disturbing. It's just tough to watch.

Which of course, is why it should be watched. "Roots" challenges "privileged" white folks like me to confront what happened in the United States in regards to slavery. It forces us to recognize the awful legacy of slavery here, and the way it dehumanized an entire race of people who did not deserve it, simply because they are people. It forced us to confront the reality of the past, and recognize the scale of human suffering that was done here in America's name. This show makes you think about a lot of things you don't want to think about- and that is good.

So, why do I hate the teenage version of me who watched "Roots" in high school? Because I was not mature enough to watch it right then. I didn't get the seriousness of it. As students made jokes or laughed at parts of this movie, I didn't think about the seriousness of what I was watching. I didn't think about the atrocities committed. I didn't think about the frank and thoughtful conversation a mixed-race classroom like those in Easton could have been having. I didn't get it then. Now I know I need to get it. I don't like the immature, younger version of myself. Fortunately I lived long enough to realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment