Monday, November 16, 2015

Tough To Watch- The Sixers 0-10 Start

I thought it would be better than this. Sure, the Sixers have had a tough schedule so far, playing two games with Cleveland, a game with Chicago, San Antonio, Boston, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Utah and Toronto, all of whom are fairly good teams. Even so, I didn't think they would be 0-10. I did not think we were looking at another sub-20 win team. We may be though. Sure, there are injuries- no Marshall, Wroten, or Covington really so far. Even so, I thought they'd be better.

I'm sort of amazed, because I honestly thought that the addition of Jahlil Okafor would make a difference, and while he's been really good so far, it hasn't. I thought that Nerlens Noel's improvement would make a difference, and while he's a better player than last year, it hasn't. I thought Nik Stauskas would make a real difference providing a shooter, and while he's had his moments, it hasn't. I even had hopes of Carl Landry making a difference, but he hasn't. With all the new talent brought in, I thought this team would be closer to 30 wins. Nothing in their early play suggests that's possible.

This week's schedule brings in Dallas and Indiana, and sends the Sixers to Charlotte and Miami. The Sixers will be underdogs in all of these games. When December comes, they do get games with the likes of the Lakers, Knicks, Nets, and Pistons, but even in those, they will not really be a favorite. The reality is that they will win some games this season, particularly when Marshall, Wroten, and Covington are back playing, but they have given away ten shots at getting on the board. For this team to win 30 games now, they'd have to go 30-42 the rest of the way. I doubt that.

This season has been tough to watch so far. It certainly isn't living up to my hopes for it. This week could bring about a break in the cloudy start, or could be a continuation of a really tough start. Even so, I'm sure ticket sales are just about awful for this week's home games, and they really can't go on being this bad. This coming off-season they will have four first-round picks if all works out, hopefully Joel Embiid will finally start playing, and Dario Saric will hopefully arrive in Philadelphia. With all of those upgrades coming, the Sixers better put a better product on the court next season. Watching this level of basketball is tough to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment