Monday, November 23, 2015

The Best Week of the Year in This Town

One of the earliest sporting events that I remember being at was the 1988 Easton-Phillipsburg "ESPN Game" on Thanksgiving with my family, when Phillipsburg won in the final moment. My whole family were basically Phillipsburg alums (at least the ones there), and that wouldn't really be an issue until 1990, when I was a first grader that wanted the Rovers to win. That issue would persist through the next 27 years, when either my uncle and grandfather (Phillipsburg season-ticket holders) or myself and the other grandkids (all Easton students) would thoroughly not enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner because our team lost. Even worse than the losses though were the ties. No one liked the ties.

I wouldn't have it any other way, even on the years Phillipsburg won, because it's what I grew up with. Traditions like this are increasingly rare, and worth treasuring. Up the road, the East Stroudsburg South-Stroudsburg rivalry has endured, but barely and with a few breaks. Northampton and Catasauqua have an impressive rivalry of their own too, one that will join the century club too soon (like a decade), but it doesn't get the fanfare of the Easton-Phillipsburg rivalry for some reason (my guess is being in different leagues for most of their existence did that, but I digress). The rivalry week brings people together, from older people who come back, to the players who bond over the experience, to the senior class that sleeps out and throws a bonfire. Lifelong friendships are forged over the events, even amongst people who don't care much about football, because we do things as a community this week.

I don't know who will win Thursday. Easton has a solid 8-4 squad, but Phillipsburg is a one loss squad that will play for a state title next weekend. I do know though that i'm looking forward to seeing a lot of people I won't see the rest of the year. You just can't beat a week like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment