Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Eight Years Later- Ohio Primary Night

Eight years ago on the night of the Ohio Primary, I spent the election night party time in Pittsburgh. That might seem like an odd place to spend one of the bigger nights of my professional life, but it made sense at the time. At the end of "getting out the vote" in Northeast Ohio, I got in the car and drove down to a buddy's place in Pittsburgh, where we went to some dive bar to celebrate the elusive victory over then-Senator Obama that I had been seeking for a solid year at that point. I had some good days on the Dodd campaign in Iowa, I won my county for Clinton in South Carolina, but both of those had been huge victories for Barack Obama, regardless of what I wanted to tell myself personally. On this Ohio Primary night though, I had finally been a part of beating him, and I was quite content with myself. It was on that night that I first contemplated, and decided I should leave the Presidential primary campaign trail. I was quite happy, but also quite over it. I was over it enough to skip the victory party in Columbus.

There are so many things I could say about Ohio. I was given a really plum job, Deputy Field Director for Early and Absentee Voting. My job actually went pretty well, in no small part because we used President Clinton across the state in rural areas to drum up early voting numbers. It worked, and we won almost all of the counties in the state (I believe we won about 80 of the 88). I must say though, I was way in over my head on that job, and was at least partially lucky it went so well. It was my first time running any operation that big, and I never had a paid assistant or organizer at any point in the process (The Obama Campaign, by comparison had regional staff working under a headquarters director on my job). I got by, which was all I was really capable of at that point in my career in a job that big. It was a challenge, an exhausting challenge, but one I got through.

Ohio was draining. It lasted roughly a month, but felt longer than Iowa. I arrived the day after Super Tuesday in Cleveland, had dinner there, and then drove down to Columbus in the morning to get to work out of the AFT headquarters. I had to make contact with all of the counties and get a system set-up to receive their lists of early voters, then I had to work out a system with headquarters for turning that data into something workable with the technology we had at the time (not every county was using spreadsheets- some literally sent me pictures of handwritten lists). Once we mostly (and by this, I mean at least in all the major counties) got over this hurdle, we had robo calls going out to everyone who was mailed an absentee ballot, as well as live calls to voters who fit our demographic groups we were winning. The second component of my job, of course, was early vote events, which we organized with every type of surrogate from the former President to small town Mayors, and just about every office in between. These were much more fun, but could become quite time consuming. The honest truth was, the whole campaign was consuming in all ways. There were about eight levels of bureaucracy to every decision that needed to be made, and half of them weren't in Ohio with us. Tack onto that the regular pains of any political campaign, and being the "outsider" who came over from Dodd (so I was either not sufficiently loyal, or good, take your pick), and the whole process made me quite exhausted. Unlike South Carolina, I can't say it was a ton of fun, or that I loved every second of it. Ohio was a job.

I am glad I did it, obviously. I had many incredible experiences. There was the "clutch" (small meeting with local dignitaries) with President Clinton and the locals in a tiny town along the West Virginia border, which ended with him asking an intern to have pizza and Diet Pepsi waiting after the event (she had no car with her, so guess how that was resolved). There was sleeping in the back of a U-Haul underneath a Cincinnati hotel, since I had no room booked from the campaign upstairs, and then coming up into the hotel in the morning and meeting CNN's political team (looking like someone who just slept in the back of a U-Haul). There was driving around a bunch of small-town mayors in a van, going from places like Toledo to American Legion halls in places like Lima. There was also meeting surrogates like Ted Strickland and Jon Corzine (both governors who would be out of office within two years after the election). There were some great times out around Ohio State's campus (this I mean), living in a "cat lady" house (she had 18) while I was allergic to cats, and stepping foot into Kentucky for the first time in my life- all thrills.

The big thing that happened in Ohio though was that I finally caught the Clinton bug. I liked Hillary prior to Ohio, but I can't say I was all that emotionally invested. It was the final Sunday before the primary, and she was speaking at a high school in suburban Columbus. I was back stage when she came in, and got to watch her interact with people in a more private setting- supporters, staff, and even press- and realized she was a much warmer, just nice figure than she is often portrayed as. She seemed genuinely interested in everyone, and spent time talking to people like they were friends- even if she didn't really know them. She then went out in that gym and knocked them dead, with a firey, inspiring speech that I had never seen from her before. It was after that when I knew I was with her.

That night eight years ago in Pittsburgh though, I knew I was done. I wasn't really all that happy on the campaign at that point, I had been on the road for close to a year, and I just wanted to get back to life. My buddy Arthur and I were discussing if she really still had a shot, and I came to realize she may have netted ten delegates out of Ohio. Texas would be even more a wash. Barack Obama was going to be our nominee, and the fight had grown pretty tired. Top that off with how I felt, and I finally contemplated being done with the trail. I drove home the next day, and still was conflicted, as the primary was coming to Pennsylvania. I went so far as to go meet the team in Philadelphia and contemplate taking an organizing position for that primary, but decided that night against it. I helped out, building some crowds for Lehigh Valley office openings, and controlling the backstage area at President Clinton's Hotel Bethlehem stop. It was basically the end though. Ohio ended a long, strange year for me. After that, politics has been a career, not a neat thing to do right after college. As I watch tonight's Ohio results, I will make sure to raise a glass to the experience I had eight years ago.

2 comments: